APA Information Hotline
This is APA Communications Director Gregg Overman with the APA Information Hotline for Wednesday, Oct. 31.
APA BOARD OF DIRECTORS FALL MEETING: The APA Board of Directors reconvened at 9 a.m. Central at union headquarters for its regularly scheduled fall meeting.
Today’s session began with a report by APA Communications Committee Chairman CA Dennis Tajer, the Communications Department, and a delegation from Blue Engine Message & Media, APA’s Washington, D.C.-based public relations agency of record. After a recap of year-to-date activity, the bulk of the briefing focused on plans for Section 6, which will feature a strong emphasis on membership engagement — APA’s 15,000 pilot-strong Negotiating Committee. At the conclusion of the communications briefing, the board voted to waive policy and re-elect CA Tajer as Communications Committee Chairman.
Scheduling Committee Chairman CA Dave Quinlan updated the board on a series of items involving that committee, including:
- Increased staff support.
- APA continues to monitor PBS on a daily basis. CA Quinlan emphasized that ongoing APA engagement in PBS “is both vital and contractual.”
- APA President CA Dan Carey filed a Presidential Grievance earlier this year regarding “unreasonably high” line constraints.
- The committee is working on incremental improvements to PBS in a Phase 2.
- Functionality improvements for vacation bidding for 2019-2020.
The remainder of the Scheduling Committee briefing took place in closed session. The board also received closed session briefings from the Scheduling Committee’s NextGen Scheduling Concepts Ad Hoc Subcommittee and the Strategic Planning Committee.
While in open session today, the board conducted the following business:
- Approved a motion to suspend the rules and consider the Board of Directors’ fall 2018 meeting as a single session, despite the change in board membership.
- Voted to waive policy and re-elect FO Johnathan Benton to serve as Government Affairs Committee Chairman.
- Conducted preliminary nominations for the Negotiating Committee election.
- Affirmed the makeup of the Operational Analysis Committee to include CA Larry Rosselot, FO Pat Clark, and CA Dave Quinlan.
- Affirmed the makeup of the Scheduling Committee to include CA Dave Quinlan, CA Andrew Weingram, FO Russ Blackwell, FO Justin Smith, FO Jordan Miller, CA Richard Hughes, FO Drew Coleman, CA Don Cruikshank, CA Doug Jackson, CA Douglas Pinion, CA Dennis Glauner, and FO Les Edwards.
The board recessed shortly at 5 p.m. and will reconvene at 9 a.m. tomorrow. This week’s meeting is scheduled to continue through Friday. You will find the meeting agenda here.
In accordance with R2016-11, this hotline message includes a synopsis of today’s session reflecting all main motions and resolutions that the board addressed. In accordance with R2017-37 Rev 1, videos of the open portions of today’s session will soon be posted to AlliedPilots.org/BODMeetingRecordings.
That’s it for now. Thank you for checking this hotline.