This is APA Communications Director Gregg Overman with the APA Information Hotline for Thursday, May 18.
APA BOARD OF DIRECTORS SPRING MEETING: The APA Board of Directors reconvened at union headquarters in Fort Worth at 9 a.m. for its regularly scheduled spring meeting.
Today’s session began with a briefing by Appeal Board Chairman FO Rob Sproc, which included an overview of pending resolutions concerning the Appeal Board.
Benefits Review and Appeals Board Chairman FO Steve Conlon gave an in-depth presentation regarding the various supplemental health and welfare plans APA offers to its members. FO Conlon informed the board that the master trust providing the financial underpinnings for the plans “is in the black,” with funds increasing commensurate with liabilities. Following this review, the board approved several resolutions based on the BRAB’s recommendations.
The board spent portions of the day in closed-session discussions with the Negotiating Committee and Strike Preparedness Committee, along with other subject-matter experts.
Also today, the board allotted time to meet with and congratulate FO Brian Stefany, who received the 2015 Lieutenant General Harold L. George Civilian Airmanship Award with CA Michael Schatz for their handling of US Airways Flight 1825 on Feb. 9, 2015. The board previously had the opportunity to meet with CA Schatz. In a letter nominating CA Schatz and FO Stefany for the prestigious award, then-APA President CA Keith Wilson noted that the two pilots “were able to take an exceptional situation and make it appear routine. Their actions reflect great credit upon themselves and are in keeping with the finest traditions of professional airmen everywhere.”
PHL Domicile Vice Chairman CA Paul Music, FO Brian Stefany, and PHL Domicile Chairman FO Paul DiOrio
In addition, the board debated a series of motions and resolutions and voted to approve the following:
- A motion directing the Negotiating Committee to engage the Company to obtain Distance Learning pilot pay for Special Qualification Airport Familiarization Videos viewed
- LOA 17-02, which provides contractual protections against Company discipline for events accepted into ASAP
- The 2017 Financial Audit Committee report
- R2017-12 Rev 1, Funding of Global Cabin Air Quality Executive (GCAQE)
- R2017-17 Rev 2a, Daily Expense Allowance Policy
- R2017-21 (As Substituted), Budget Exceedance Notification-Authorizations
- R2017-23, SMP Contingency Reserve Policy
- R2017-24 Rev 1, SMP and Custodial Care Primary Retiree Medical Coverage and Open Enrollment
- R2017-25, SMP Retiree Dental Coverage
- R2017-26, APA Pilot Mutual Aid Plan
- R2017-27 Rev 1, 2016 Life Insurance Dividend-Grandfathered
- R2017-28 Rev 1, 2016 Life Insurance Dividend-Enhanced
- R2017-31, APA Pilot Occupational Disability Plan Social Security Offset Removal
R2016-11, Disclosure of All Motion and Resolution Disposition to Membership, which the board previously voted to approve, amended the APA Policy Manual Section 1.06 to specify that APA will include in its daily board meeting updates information regarding “main motions and resolutions and resolutions which are defeated, postponed, referred, and laid on the table.” In accordance with this resolution, this hotline message includes a synopsis of today’s session reflecting all main motions and resolutions that the board addressed.
The board recessed its meeting at 5 p.m. and is scheduled to reconvene at 8:30 a.m. on Friday.
That’s it for now. Thanks for checking this hotline.