This is APA Communications Director Gregg Overman with the APA Information Hotline for Thursday, Dec. 15.
URGENT CALL TO ACTION — NORWEGIAN AIR INTERNATIONAL: We strongly encourage you to send a message to President-elect Trump, Vice President-elect Pence, your U.S. Senators, and your U.S. Representative: The DOT’s decision regarding Norwegian Air International must not stand. Left unchecked, large numbers of American jobs will be destroyed and the U.S. airline industry will be crippled.
APA BOARD OF DIRECTORS FALL MEETING: The APA Board of Directors reconvened at 9 a.m. at union headquarters in Fort Worth for the continuation of its fall meeting. The board’s first order of business was to bring forward a pending motion regarding the TTS framework as briefed during Wednesday’s session and to pass a motion approving the framework.
Appeal Board Committee Chairman FO Rob Sproc briefed the board regarding the status of pending cases, an Appeal Board Committee manual, committee vacancy, and related pending resolutions.
Also today, the board took the following actions:
- Passed a motion to waive policy to elect Captain Mike Lyons as Chairman of the Strike Preparedness Committee.
- Elected CA Tom Gallagher to the Appeal Board.
- Elected FO Scott Abbott, CA Scott Heckenberger, and CA Carl Jackson to the Board Steering Committee, and elected CA Heckenberger to serve as Chairman.
- Passed a motion to waive policy and elect CA Paul Music as a member of the Financial Audit Committee.
- Passed a motion rescinding the removal of CA John Deleeuw from the National Safety Committee. CA Deleeuw has been reinstated as Deputy Chairman of that committee.
- Passed a motion to add insurance coverage to the agenda, and passed a related motion directing the president to renew the union’s insurance coverage to agreed-upon limits.
- Passed a motion to suspend the rules and amend R2016-51 Rev. 1, BOD Steering Committee, by amending line 5 to read: 1.02a.K. BOD Steering Committee Election (each Fall).
The board spent a significant portion of the day in executive session with assorted subject-matter experts before adjourning its meeting shortly before 4:30 p.m.
R2016-11, “Disclosure of All Motion and Resolution Disposition to Membership,” which the board previously voted to approve, amended the APA Policy Manual Section 1.06 to specify that APA will include in its daily board meeting updates information regarding “main motions and resolutions which are defeated, postponed, referred, and laid on the table.” In accordance with this resolution, this hotline message includes a synopsis of today’s session reflecting all main motions and resolutions that the board addressed.
TELEPHONE TOWN HALL MEETINGS PROTOCOL: We have received some questions from members regarding Wednesday evening’s joint CLT-DCA-PHL live conference call — specifically, who moderates these calls and why the moderator chose to disconnect a particular pilot. A third-party vendor, Telephone Town Hall Meetings, conducts these calls on behalf of APA. Their protocol is to accommodate as many questions as possible during the allotted time, so if the moderator perceives that someone is trying to monopolize the discussion or is not maintaining decorum, the moderator will move on to the next person in the queue. We will review that protocol with Telephone Town Hall Meetings to ensure that an appropriately open discourse is permitted.
That’s it for now. Thanks for checking this hotline.